Re: [dvd-discuss] AVRA sues Warner Home Video

I tend to agree...of course as I learned on my final exam in BAL 370
assembler, where we had to deal with a trick question involving self
modifying code, even the program really is data. My own thoughts on this
matter are that the DVD is nothing but another media. The WORK on the DVD
is copyrighted but not the bits on the DVD. Unless the DVD specifically
identifies what parts are copyrighted at what times (and why can't it
certainly there is enough storage capability on the DVD!), then ONLY the
parts that were previously copyrighted enjoy copyright. In effect, the
rest of it does not because it lacks a proper copyright notice!

Similarly, as Jeme has pointed out if the bits on an executable software
CD are not copyrighted then the since source code is not published, the
source code is a trade secret NOT a copyrighted work. I think that some
sort of protection is needed for software sold to the public but the form
of that protection is not copyright (certainly a 120yr protection is
ludicrous for something which conveys little information to humans and
only a small number have the skill or time...)

Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
11/02/01 06:49 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss