Re: [dvd-discuss] Interesting 1st sale-shrinkwrap-EULA-(c) infrin gementcase

On Friday 02 November 2001 08:21, Noah silva wrote:
> I suppose that's true, since I can sell any particular copy of GPL (or
> whatever) software that I like.  It's just.. would people be willing to
> buy it for very much? ;)
>
> If renting is still legal, and not a first sale, then couldn't companies
> like adobe effectively get around this by offering their software only for
> rent (say the sale price to rent it for a term of.. 100 years).

It's possible that this is where Microsoft is headed with their rentware
plans.  They're probably looking at the revenue-stream advantages
and may not have considered the copyright-law side but one never
knows for sure.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+