Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

At 1:43 pm -0400 9/27/01, Noah silva wrote:
>anyone want to invest in dr.noah's CD rental shop?

I hope that someone who knows for sure responds, but it is my
understanding that it is not legal to rent audio CD's in the US and
there have even been efforts to try to outlaw the selling of used
CD's. This collection of arbitrary laws leads to some odd situations.
For instance, I recall reading a rueful argument by Trip Hawkins (CEO
of EA) that game console software was legal to rent without any
special licensing arrangement with the publisher but the
corresponding computer software for the same damn game was not legal
to rent under similar conditions. The point that is so odd is that it
is the same game, different object code, but still the same title.
How could there be any moral dimension to the laws that make one
version legally available for rent while the other is not?