Re: [dvd-discuss] More Copy Protection

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org wrote:

> I think they mean authorized by the copyright holder or the media content
> provider....other than trying to mess up the tracking system of the CD
> player, the rest of their statement is PUREST BS. As we say in the comm.
> business "Bits is Bits". The only way they can succeed is if the computer
> CDdrive has a tracking system different than a CD player....

The CD drives are a little smarter, and as a result, check the error codes
better, and will keep trying to re-read a sector until they add up.  The
normal CD players will just try to correct the error, and move on.  There
are some other differences too.  The bottom line is that it will play on
most CD players and will not rip on most Cd-rom drives... but:

a.) there are some nicer audio CD players based on CD-rom type circutry,
and they also will not play the CDs.

b.) There are some nice CD-Rom drives with error correction abilities, or
the ability to actually rip the error correction bits too, so you can
process everything from the computer yourself.

> actually come
> to think of it....my cheapy technics has an IR port I think to allow you
> to broadcast it across the room and house.....does anybody have an
> IrSNORT-CD?

 -- noah silva