Re: [dvd-discuss] Going on the offense.

On Monday 10 September 2001 13:15, Bryan Taylor <bryan_w_taylor@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The best method for doing this is in states that have ballot propositions. In
> some states, you can completely circumvent the legislature. California has a
> good system for this. Texas has it, but you have to have the legislature put it
> on the ballot. Anybody know about other states?

Arizona has both initiative and referendum.  In referendum, Acts of the
Legislature can be overturned by popular vote; the measure goes to the
ballot if enough signatures are raised.  In initiative, the voters make the
law directly (petition, then popular vote.)  Due to recent shenanigans by
the Legislature, there is also a Constitutional provision preventing the
Legislature from revising laws passed by initiative.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <dcs@lumbercartel.com> ----------+