RE: [dvd-discuss] Re: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA seque l: The SSSCA

I dunno 'bout that.  If you can pass off the pin # of the
answering machine as meeting all security requrements, then
surely the root password of a Linux machine can be considered
to be the same.

Otoh, if you need hardware-level protection to prevent
illegal copying of music on your computer, then the answering
machine should have the same protection.  Otherwise we'll have
a network of song-pirates distributing phone #s ("For Madonna's
latest, call 555-HOT-GIRL")

And the answering machines are just an example.  Given the
broadness of the law (any digital device??!?)  I'm sure more
"real-world" examples could be found to press.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!