[dvd-discuss] Going on the offense.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Ravi Nanavati wrote:

> The Felten case notwithstanding, the thing that makes our legal battle
> harder is that we are almost always playing "defense" not "offense".

I was discussing that with a co-worker over lunch.  Why don't we start
going on the offensive, rather than play defense all the time?  Why not try
and get some laws supporting our view point passed?

Things I'd like to see introduced:

A bill explicity supporting fair use, and outlining when it is appropriate.

An "Information Preservation" act, legalizing the making of personal copies of
any out-of-print material.

A bill protecting the public's ability to make an archival of any "IP" they
own or license, including the creation, purchase, and use of "circumvention
devices".

Laws requiring companies to give you a complete list of all data they have
collected on you, and you being allowed to revise it (similar to credit
reports, but for privacy information).

Surely there are a few sympathetic members of Congress we can get to introduce
the legislation we want, instead of the legislation the MPAA & co want?

-Kurt