Re: [dvd-discuss] Adobe Comments on Sklyarov, ElcomSoft Cases

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Kurt Foss wrote:

> from Planet eBook:

A direct link is:
   http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200108/elcomsoftqa.html

I love this line:

``To the best of Adobe's knowledge, the Acrobat eBook Reader is the only
product that allows for the lending and giving of eBooks.''

Hasn't Adobe heard of plain text ASCII?  I've got several books in
plaintext, and I can get more from Gutenberg Project or Baen Free Library.
ASCII, combined with the 'cp' and 'more' command have worked for about 20
years on UNIX, and almost as long for DOS.

Nevermind the fact that they have no right to control whether I give away
or lend my property.

--

Throw in the contradiction of ``"the prosecution of this individual is not
conducive to the best interests of any of the parties involved or the

Sounds like the only reason they backpedaled on Skylarov was to avoid
making him more of a martyer. I guess I was being hopeful in hoping that
the backpedal was anything more than tactical.

--

Finally, the doublespeak of 'authorized' when one has no authority to
control whether or not I have my software read a book aloud, and claiming

 ``Adobe E-Book is a digital control technology, in that its primary
purpose is to control how a device is used and can use digital works.
Although these technologies can be used for copyright enforcement, their
control extends far beyond that mandate.''   -- Scott Crosby

Personally, I'm wondering when a clone of that program will be released
anonymously on the net.

Scott