[dvd-announce] EFF Questions -- the challenge

The EFF (and now Declan's article) have challenged the list to produce
add references I've seen on the list.

  In particular, if anyone's working on a topic offline, or wants to
discuss by off-list email with others, please let us know.
(It's easiest to find the messages again if you label as Tech Issue #X /
Legal Issue #Y and change subjects when the topics change.)

--Wendy

>Robin Gross wrote:
> >
> > LEGAL ISSUES:
> >
> > 1.  We need a memo on the issue of DVD as a computer program or data
> > file.  What was the legislative intent behind the DMCA exemptions for
> > DVDs?  Do they apply or was this only intended for "software"?

one person looking off-list.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01145.html

> > 5.  Reverse Engineering Analysis:  We need a memo outlining the legal
> > cases dealing with reverse engineering and how they apply to this case.

Thread beginning at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01096.html
Anyone want to see what a search on "reverse engineer! w/s copyright" turns
up through jurisline (linked off
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/dvd/resources.html ) ?

> > 6.  Click wrap licenses. a)  What is the case law supporting the
> > requirement for a manifesting of assent to contract? b) Does case law
> > support the creation of binding agreements through purchase only? c)
> > what is the impact of "hacking" around a click-wrap on the requirement
> > for assent to contract?

one off-list response looks pretty thorough.

> > 7.  What is the burden of proof standard regarding the weight of the
> > evidence needed to prove an initial misappropriation in a trade secret
> > case?  What is the burden of proof (weight) needed to prove
> > misappropriation by a republisher?
> >
> > 8.  What are case law examples involving the loss of trade secret status
> > through inadvertence?

possibly one off-list.

> > 9.  What cases have discussed the limitations imposed upon Congress
> > regarding Copyright?  How does the Constitution constrain what Congress
> > can do in fixing the rules for copyright?

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01145.html
Bryan's document:
http://bioinformatics.ucsf.edu/bwtaylor/dvd/copyright_limits.txt

> > TECH ISSUES:
> >
> > 1.  Region Coding.  How does region coding prevent playback?  What are
> > the different ways to bypass this technological measure and how easy are
> > they to accomplish?  Are there DVDs that are coded to play in all
> > regions?

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01020.html
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01022.html
One response received off-list.

> > 2.  True or False: It is impossible to fast-forward past commercials or
> > FBI warnings on DVDs?

Sometimes true, but not always?
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01015.html
Folks with DVD players and commercial DVDs, please confirm.

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01014.html
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01021.html

> > 4.  What are other concrete examples are there of occasions in which
> > reverse engineering has been critical to achieving a technological break
> > through in an industry?  Are there examples of other attempts to prevent
> > such activity and what was the result?

Ongoing discussion on-list.
Thread beginning at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg01096.html

 >5.  Top five myths about DeCSS.  What are the top five greatest
 >misunderstandings about the DeCSS technology and why are they wrong?

Anyone to compile?

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg00996.html

wendy@seltzer.com || wseltzer@kramerlevin.com
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html