Re: [dvd-discuss] The premature declaration of death of copyright (was:Re: [dvd-discuss] Slashdot interview with Lessig)

No it's "not dead yet" <are you Mary Queen of Scots?> nor is it
likely to die soon. Rather it's going to be die similar to how a
beached whale does- gasping for breath and slowly crushing under
its own weight. And as with a beached whale, you don't want to
tickle it's tail until it's good and dead.

Napster and the "digital age" are not what is killing copyright. As
you point out, the "rational man on the street" probably doesn't
care much about the intricacies of copyright, but the rational man
doesn't view copyright the same way he did in Macauley's day. He
views the corporations rather than the authors as the benefactors of
copyright. He views the long terms as stupid. Because of the high
cost of copyright material and the artificial prices set by the
monopolies, he views the copying for his private use as acceptable.

While I can't think of anybody who believes that COMMERCIAL
piracy should be encouraged, now the industry has decided that
ALL copying for any use is piracy. NOw they make war upon
consumers with the DRM, SDMI, CDs that won't play in
computers, DVDs that only play on licensed players. Groups have
publically stated that they consider used recording, book, or video
stores and even the public library as institutions that should be
eliminated because they reduce their profits. And they look to
technology to give them the power to do this and the courts and
legislature to give them what they want to enforce it. The
intellectual property industry advocates indoctrinating children
about copyright as part of their school work (never mind the reading
the writing, the rithmetic and passing the mandated exams. Let's
take time out to learn about copyright)The "rational man" doesn't
see all this YET.

The conditions that Macauley described are here today. The
attitudes that he spoke of as a consequence of those conditions
are beginning to be widespread.