This is an experiment in a wiki-based home page. For now, it's my main home page. If I ever decide the experiment is a failure, and shift to another page, I'll say so here and link to the new page.
I work for the free circulation of science and scholarship in every field and language. In practice that means research, writing, organizing, and pro bono consulting for open access to research. I wear several hats:
- Director of the Harvard Office for Scholarly Communication (starting July 1, 2013)
- Director of the Harvard Open Access Project
- Faculty Fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Senior Researcher at the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC)
- Open Access Project Director at Public Knowledge
- Research Professor of Philosophy at Earlham College
My latest book is Open Access (MIT Press, 2012), which includes an OA page of updates and supplements. Also see my other writings on open access, the backfile of my newsletter (the SPARC Open Access Newsletter), and my publications on deposit in the Harvard institutional repository.
I formerly blogged at Open Access News (May 2002 - April 2010). I formerly wrote the Free Online Scholarship Newsletter (March 2001 - September 2002) and SPARC Open Access Newsletter (July 2003 - June 2013).
- my ORCID profile. My ORCID = 0000-0002-3577-2890.
My primary email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I also use <email@example.com> and <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- I can still receive mail at <email@example.com>, but I no longer use it. If you have it in your address book, please replace it with one of the above. I still subscribed to some long-standing discussion forums under that address, but I'm gradually updating my subscriptions.
Email is the best way to reach me. If you want to contact me by phone, fax, snail mail, or some other way, send me an email and I'll send you the number or address.