I'm experimenting with public office hours.
The idea is to be online periodically at teleconferencing site with a public URL. Anyone who's free and interested can drop in to chat about open access.
I'll start with Zoom.
- To make it easy to drop in to chat, I will not require passwords.
- I'll start with Zoom settings that will reduce the risk of Zoombombing, and I'll tweak the settings over time based on my experience. If I can't sufficiently reduce the risk of Zoombombing, then either I'll drop the experiment or move to a different platform where it might be safer.
- I'll probably use a different Zoom session URL for each meeting. But I'm still thinking about that.
- If I use the same Zoom session URL every time, I'll post it on this page.
- If I use a different one each time, I'll post date/time/URL to my Twitter account. I may not always have time to post the same info to this page as well. I want to support frictionless spontaneity for me too, not just for the participants.
I'd like to make this convenient for people in different time zones. But there's no getting around the fact that I'm in the Eastern Time zone (with New York).
If you have ideas on how to make this experiment work, or if you'd like to set up a meeting, please let me know.