Several of the main areas of research and scholarship at the Berkman Center are listed below. Scroll down for the Series Archives.
- "RealPlayer," StopBadware.org, January 2008
- "My SCH Community," StopBadware.org, January 2008
- "The Citizen Journalism Web Site 'Ohmynews' and the 2002 South Korean Presidential Election," Mary Joyce and the Internet & Democracy Project, December 2007
- "The Role of Digital Networked Technologies in the Ukrainian Orange Revolution," Josh Goldstein and the Internet & Democracy Project, December 2007
- "When and How ICT Interoperability Drives Innovation," Urs Gasser and John Palfrey, November 2007
- "Case Study: DRM-protected Music Interoperability and eInnovation," Urs Gasser and John Palfrey, November 2007
- "Case Study: Digital Identity Interoperability and eInnovation," John Palfrey and Urs Gasser, November 2007
- "Case Study: Mashups Interoperability and eInnovation," John Palfrey and Urs Gasser, November 2007
- "Pulling the Plug: A Technical Review of the Internet Shutdown in Burma," The OpenNet Initiative, October 2007
- "The Principles of Distributed Innovation," Karim Lakhani and Jill Panetta, October 2007
- "Trends in Badware 2007," StopBadware.org
- "Overcoming the Achilles Heel of Copyright Law," Haochen Sun, July 2007
- "Saving the Internet," Jonathan Zittrain, June 2007
- "Reluctant Gatekeepers: Corporate Ethics on a Filtered Internet," John Palfrey, March 2007
- "New Skills, New Learning: Legal Education and the Promise of Technology," Gene Koo, March 2007
- "E-Compliance: Towards a Roadmap for Effective Risk Management," Urs Gasser and Daniel Haeusermann, March 2007
- "Ethical Implications of Emerging Technologies: A Survey," Mary Rundle and Chris Conley, March 2007
- "Interoperability In the New Digital Identity Infrastructure," Mary Rundle and Paul Trevithick, February 2007
- "Spam Works: Evidence from Stock Touts and Corresponding Market Activity," Laura Frieder and Jonathan Zittrain, January 2007
"FastMP3Search Plugin," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"Best Practice Guide: Implementing the EU Copyright Directive in the Digital Age," Urs Gasser and Silke Ernst, December 2006.
"Fake-Mailer," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"Popcorn.net," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"WinAntiVirus 2006," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"WinAntiSpyware 2006," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"The Future of Music and Film Piracy in China," Eric Priest. Published in the Berkeley Technology Law Journal.
"Spam Works: Evidence from Stock Touts and Corresponding Market Activity," Laura Frieder of Purdue University - Krannert School of Management and Jonathan Zittrain of Oxford Internet Institute; Harvard Law School; University of Oxford Faculty of Law
"Internet Filtering in Vietnam: 2005-2006," OpenNet Initiative.
"The Digital Learning Challenge: Obstacles to Educational Uses of Copyrighted Material in the Digital Age," William W. Fisher and William McGeveran, August 2006.
"The Move to the Middle: The Enduring Threat of “Harmful” Speech to Network Neutrality," John G. Palfrey, Jr. and Robert Rogoyski. Also published in the Washington University Journal of Law and Policy. June 14, 2006
"China Internet Bulletin." July 2006.
"International Personal Data Protection and Digital Identity Management Tools," Mary Rundle.
"Digital Rights Management and the Process of Fair Use," Timothy Armstrong. (forthcoming, Harv. J.L. & Tech., vol. 20, no. 1, fall 2006).
Local Nets: Filtering and the Internet Governance Problem, John G. Palfrey, Jr. and Jack Balkin, eds. Book chapter in THE GLOBAL FLOW OF INFORMATION, Jack Balkin et al., eds. (forthcoming, 2006).
"Global Innovation and Licensing Opportunities on the Internet," John G. Palfrey, Jr.. Book chapter in
LICENSING BEST PRACTICES, (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2006).
From Shakespeare to DJ Danger Mouse: A Quick Look at Copyright and User Creativity in the Digital Age," Urs Gasser and Silke Ernst.
"Legal Frameworks and Technological Protection of Digital Content: Moving Forward Toward a Best Practice Model," Urs Gasser.
"Regulating Search Engines: Taking Stock and Looking Ahead," Urs Gasser. Published in Yale's Journal of Law and Technology, 2006.
"The Generative Internet," Jonathan Zittrain. Published in the Harvard Law Review, 2006.
"A History of Online Gatekeeping," Jonathan Zittrain. Also published in Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 2, p. 253, 2006 and Oxford Legal Studies Research Paper No. 29/2006.
"Badware Watch List," StopBadware.org, 2006.
"Winfixer," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Funcade," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"UnSpyPC," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Jessica Simpson Screensaver," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Kazaa," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Mediapipe," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"SpyAxe," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Waterfalls 3," Stopbadware.org, 2006.
"Internet Watch Report: The 2006 Presidential Election in Belarus," OpenNet Initiative.
"Net Dialogue Perspectives on International Net Governance," Lawrence Lessig, John G. Palfrey, Jr., Mary Rundle. Published in Digital Reach, official publication of WSIS. 2005.
Trusting the Net: Peer Production of Internet Governance, Vol. 1, 3-4 INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT 73 - 76 (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2004). John G. Palfrey, Jr., David R. Johnson & Susan P. Crawford.
"Holding Out for an Interoperable DRM Standard," John G. Palfrey, Jr.. Book chapter in DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT: THE END OF COLLECTING SOCIETIES?, (Berne: Staempfli, 2005).
Consumer Taste Sharing Is Driving the Online Music Business and Democratizing Culture, Derel Slater, 2005.
Catch-As-Catch-Can: A Case Note On Grokster, John G. Palfrey, Jr. and Urs Gasser, 2005.
Amicus Brief, Supreme Court Grokster Case, 2005.
Copyright and Digital Media in a Post-Napster World: 2005 Update, 2005.
How America's Revolutionaries Imagined Intellectual Property: Frames from the Framers, Lewis Hyde, 2005.
Content and Control: Assessing Impact of Policy Choices in Potential Online Business Models in Music & Film Industries, 2005.
Internet Filtering in Yemen in 2004-2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Internet Filtering in Tunisia in 2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Internet Filtering in Burma in 2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Roadmap for Open ICT Ecosystems, 2005.
Internet Filtering in Singapore in 2004-2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Internet Filtering in Iran in 2004-2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Internet Filtering in China: 2004-2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Internet Filtering in Bahrain: 2004-2005, OpenNet Initiative.
Identity Management as a Cybersecurity Case Study, Mary Rundle and Ben Laurie, 2005.
Beyond Internet Governance: The Emerging International Framework for Governing the Networked World, Mary C. Rundle, 2005.
The Internet and Democracy: Global Catalyst or Democratic Dud?, Michael L. Best and Keegan W. Wade, 2005.
NetDialogue: A Mechanism to Promote Transparency and Public Dialogue in International Net Governance, Mary Rundle, 2005.
The Role of All Actors in Internet Governance, Mary Rundle, 2005.
Blogging, Journalism, and Credibility, Rebecca MacKinnon, 2005.
Tagging and Why It Matters, David Weinberger, 2005
Global Networked Readiness for Education, Colin Maclay and Geoffrey Kirkman, 2005.
Rapid ICT Change and Workplace Knowledge Obsolescence, Henrik Schneider, 2005.
Stemming the International Tide of Spam: A Draft Model Law, Derek Bambauer, John G. Palfrey, Jr, and David E. Abrams, 2005.
The Broadcast Flag: It's not just TV, Wendy Seltzer, 2005.
The Censorships of Television, Lawrence Lessig, March 1999.
The Power of Openness - Why Citizens, Education, Government and Business Should Care About the Coming Revolution in Open Source Code Software, David Bollier, April 1999.
Evaluating the Costs and Benefits of Taxing Internet Commerce, Austan Goolsbee and Jonathan Zittrain, May 1999.
The Un-Microsoft Un-Remedy: Law Can Prevent the Problem That It Can’t Patch Later, Jonathan Zittrain, August 1999.
The Law of the Horse: What Cyberlaw Might Teach, Lawrence Lessig, December 1999.
Zoning Speech on the Internet: A Legal and Technical Model, Lawrence Lessig and Paul Resnick, December 1999.
The Berkman Center is a research institute founded to explore cyberspace, share in its study, and help pioneer its development. Contributors to the series include Berkman Faculty, Affiliates, and Fellows and represent a broad range of scholarship on the subjects at the core of the Center's focus. Read more about the Center's work in Research, Teaching, Advising, and Advocacy.