This Wiki is an invitation to collaborate on building a learning and research environment based on Yochai Benkler's book, The Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom, available under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Sharealike license.
Read the book
in different formats:
- Wiki: summaries, commentary, downloads
- PDF - in the original book format or in a paper-friendly version
- HTML - formatted in separate chapters, in an easier-to-read format
- Searchable version available in multiple formats ( html, XML, opendocument ODF, pdf (landscape, portrait), plaintext, concordance ), SiSU
- Hardcopy: from Amazon or from Yale Pressor Find it in a library
Reviews and Blogs
- Lessig blog, by Lawrence Lessig, 15Apr06.
- Financial Times, Net Gains, by Paul Miller, 07Jul06.
- Times Online, Netizens Awake, by Paul Duguid, 07Jul06.
- Rough Type, Calacanis's wallet and the Web 2.0 dream, by Nicholas Carr, 19Jul06. See also Benkler's reply, 28Jul06.
- New Statesman, Power to the People, by Kenneth Cukier, 04Sep06.
- German Law Journal, by James Brink, 01Oct06.
- Public Knowledge, by Gigi Sohn, 03Oct06.
- Rue Descartes, by Thierry Leterre, Feb07 (French journal edited by the Collège international de philosophie).
- Networked Information Economy, by jyo3, Jul07 (Reading, review and discussion as part of the Digital Media Program at the UW).
- denoer blog, by Randa Williams, 29Jul07.
- Power To The People by JohnWayne Liston, Jul07 (Net e-conomics: MC Digital Media; University Washington)
- A Moment of Opportunity, by MegMcG, 29Jul07 (Net e-conomics: MC Digital Media; University of Washington)
- The Wealth of Networks by Corey Gil, Jul07 (Net e-conomics: MC Digital Media; University Washington)
- Wealth of Networks by Nancy Dick, Jul07 (Net e-conomics: MC Digital Media; University Washington)
- Wealth of Networks by Carrie Rolph, Jul07 (Net e-conomics: MC Digital Media; University Washington)
- Weekly KM Blog, by Stan Garfield, 08Aug07.
- Assignment Zero
- Video interview @ Wizards of OS 4: question 1, 2, 3, & 4. September 14, 2006.
- Yochai Benkler @ Freedom to Connect, March 2007
- Yochai Benkler @ Personal Democracy Forum, 2007
- Yochai Benkler @ the Center for American Progress, May 31, 2006
Using this wiki
The basic idea is to make this Wiki a place for at least five things:
- Collaborate on writing a summary of the ideas and claims of the book (see Table of Contents)
- Collaborate on writing commentaries and elaborating and refining the presentation
- Provide an easy platform through which to access underlying research materials:
- those used in the book's notes
- and resources that are useful for further research, refinement, and updating
- Describe, link to, and analyze examples of the phenomena the book describes
- The purpose is not to “make the case” for the book or find “gotcha” counter examples. What we are trying to do is provide a real research tool, annotated bibliography, and platform for collaborative learning. Examples and counter-examples should be selected and described with that purpose in mind.
- Demonstrate and discover what is valuable in a learning platform
- Through separate pages devoted to ideas and experiments of what can be done with an online book to make it a learning platform, we hope to expand the range of uses to which this Wiki can be available.
- Through creative, systematic and interactive uses of this wiki, we hope to enhance our individual and collective skills & experience in a wiki world
Growing this Wiki
- Growing this Wiki: Ideas for how to help the wiki grow and be useful
A Wiki User's Guide
See the User's Guide for usage and configuration help.
Please use the Sandbox for experiments and to get acquainted with this wiki.