VRM West Coast R-Button Workshop May 2011
Meeting held 2 May 2011 at Computer History Museum
Agenda: determine info and actions needed from R-Button by various entities in Personal Data Ecosystem (PDE).
R-Button: open standard, minimal point of affordance for personal data ecosystem. User-driven data + services, VRM apps. It's the point in your frame (see below) where you manage your context.
- Diagram 1:*
ROW 1: Platform . ^- Infrastructure -> Data host
ROW 2: Data Host : Website (foreground app) (widget/content) : App (sideground and background) (context-based, not www) Example of apps: Kynetx app, GreaseMonkey, Toolbar
Examples of instantiations:
- Facebook: Facebook connect (on web pages)
- Mydex: Purple Button (on web pages)
- Kynetx: Tiki Button
- Switchbook: Toggler
ROW 3: Individual (can turn on/off services, switch contexts, do context-specific things)
- Doc's Diagram 2:* person with thought balloon: (R-Button icon) = "relate"
Need to facilitate function to something (icon and function) as ubiquitous as a back or home button. Needs to be on every bar, every browser.
Description of process: we have a frame (browser) with foreground activities and possibly idle foreground activities (e.g., other open windows or tabs in a browser). We also have some "sideground" that pays attention to foreground and background in a way that can interact.
- Mydex is not a sideground process, not watching the user.
- Kynetx is a sideground process, watches everything in browser (acting as a platform).
- Switchbook is a sideground process, watching surfing as foreground app, interacting within frame.
- ListenLog: user logs their own data for their own purposes. (NPR Tuner is foreground, stores in data host, access thru other apps or websites.)
R-Button is managing my context (personas, roles, etc.)
- Role: Privileges (could have liabilities if role has responsibilities)
- Actions -> Liabilities (generally)