Difference between revisions of "February 8 2007 Meeting notes"

From Project VRM
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(13 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
==Conference Call Notes==
 
==Conference Call Notes==
 
Drafted by Joe Andrieu, February 8, 2007
 
Drafted by Joe Andrieu, February 8, 2007
 +
 +
==Other Calls==
 +
[[Category:conference call]]
 +
[[:Category:conference call]]
 +
 
===Invitation===
 
===Invitation===
 
VRM Conference Call - Thursday February 8 at 10:30 AM Pacific / 1:30 PM Eastern
 
VRM Conference Call - Thursday February 8 at 10:30 AM Pacific / 1:30 PM Eastern
Line 29: Line 34:
 
*Kevin
 
*Kevin
 
*Doc
 
*Doc
 +
*(not there) Chris ''Dean, thx for the debrief, and Joe for the notes.''
  
 
===Status===
 
===Status===
Line 48: Line 54:
 
|brainstorm Initiatives||all||ongoing
 
|brainstorm Initiatives||all||ongoing
 
|-
 
|-
|relationship/expression matrix||chris/deb||feb 1
+
|relationship/expression matrix||chris/deb||feb 1||'''DONE'''
 
|}
 
|}
  
 
===Notes===
 
===Notes===
 +
(These are not well attributed. sources vary. these notes do not represent the consensus of the group, but rather comments by individuals)
 +
 
*IM/IRC/Jabber backchannel would be a good thing
 
*IM/IRC/Jabber backchannel would be a good thing
 
*Shared VRM Blog might just work as tag-based feed aggreation
 
*Shared VRM Blog might just work as tag-based feed aggreation
Line 77: Line 85:
 
*Note that we should probably be talking to people in marketing.
 
*Note that we should probably be talking to people in marketing.
  
*IIW Workshop April 16,17, 2007 at Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA
+
*[http://iiw.windley.com/wiki/Workshop_2007 Internet Identity Workshop] May 14-16, 2007 at Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA
 
*Desire for a meeting focused on individual initiatives, with vendors participating
 
*Desire for a meeting focused on individual initiatives, with vendors participating
 +
 +
*Target is a potential VRM supporter. Nate Garven has apparently dones some interesting things and we have some relationships there.
 +
 +
*DRM & Apple. This is an important development, for Jobs to step up and advocate abandonment of DRM.
 +
**What we need are big names and big companies who can step up and agitate/advocate/work towards a new vision.
 +
**What can we find that is user-driven, user-centric, that can help resolve the DRM dilemma and simultaneously open up the silos.
 +
 +
* Public Radio & VRM approach to fundraising that can make it easier to have users pay for what they consume?
 +
 +
*What are our goals?
 +
**Near term
 +
***At a practical level, conversational activities and projects going forward. Growing the wiki. Who is doing what? Etc.
 +
***Organizational development: team building, process creation, community development, initiative facilitation
 +
***Real initiatives with progress from problem definition through to real Protocols.
 +
***Forum for discussion that isn't tied to any particular commercial interest. The goal is to create tools that are open source and ubiquitous.
 +
**Long term
 +
***Fixing the market. Getting rid of or reducing the kind of unproductive asymmetries we have between supply side and demand side, at least in the b2c world.
 +
***Reduction of transaction costs, especially around the transaction costs of vendor-customer relationships. Law & Economics has shown that when transaction costs are non-existent, resources naturally allocate to the highest utility use. Every reduction in transaction costs increases our overall alignment and use of resources.
  
 
===Action Items===
 
===Action Items===
Line 94: Line 120:
 
|brainstorm Initiatives||all||ongoing
 
|brainstorm Initiatives||all||ongoing
 
|-
 
|-
|relationship/expression matrix||chris/deb||feb 1
+
|relationship/expression matrix||chris/deb||feb 1||'''DONE'''
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Set up Jabber Host for conference calls||doc||no date||''new''
 
|Set up Jabber Host for conference calls||doc||no date||''new''
 
|}
 
|}
 +
 +
==Next Meeting==
 +
February 22, 1:30PM EST

Latest revision as of 17:22, 25 July 2007

Conference Call Notes

Drafted by Joe Andrieu, February 8, 2007

Other Calls

Category:conference call

Invitation

VRM Conference Call - Thursday February 8 at 10:30 AM Pacific / 1:30 PM Eastern

As discussed at the January 25th meeting in Redwood City, there will be a Project VRM Conference call on Thursday, February 8th at 10:30 AM Pacific / 1:30 PM Eastern.

Here are the conference call details:

Date: Thursday, February 8, 2007 Time: 10:30 PDT, 1:30 EST

Dial-in Number: 1-712-432-3000

(Note that the other number that used to be listed here doesn't work.)

Conference Bridge Access Code #: 170658

Please note: we are going to record the call for potential future use as a reference audio or podcast.

See you (well, hear you) then and there.

Attendees

  • Britt
  • Dean
  • Iain
  • Whit
  • Joe
  • Tom
  • Kevin
  • Doc
  • (not there) Chris Dean, thx for the debrief, and Joe for the notes.

Status

what who when status
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
open id on wiki david no date
group blog/RSS to wiki (venus) doc no date still working on it
project VRM definition doc 1 week still working on it
thurs, 1:30pm EST concall setup dean 8 feb DONE
Initiative brainstorm page joe 1 feb DONE
brainstorm Initiatives all ongoing
relationship/expression matrix chris/deb feb 1 DONE

Notes

(These are not well attributed. sources vary. these notes do not represent the consensus of the group, but rather comments by individuals)

  • IM/IRC/Jabber backchannel would be a good thing
  • Shared VRM Blog might just work as tag-based feed aggreation
  • VRM fix to Yahoo/Flicker problem: accumulating acquired companies' signons and accumulating users' signons. Can we make headway by coming at this from the user side?
  • Fractional horsepower/Personal RFP same thing? (Sure: Joe)
    • Any known existing technologies
      • EB-XML
      • EDI
      • RosettaNet
  • We have to conform to existing businesses and business practices, so that supporting VRM appears as "money over the transom".
  • Where does VRM touch existing commerce systems:
    • Sun
    • IBM
    • SAP
    • HP
  • Do we need sign on?
    • No, because shopping should be publicly accessible
    • Yes, because not all information will be made available to the public
    • Yes, because vendors need additional information
    • We need some persistent identity, ala cookies, for relationships to accrete around. (Signons are one way to do that.)
  • Note that we should probably be talking to people in marketing.
  • Internet Identity Workshop May 14-16, 2007 at Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA
  • Desire for a meeting focused on individual initiatives, with vendors participating
  • Target is a potential VRM supporter. Nate Garven has apparently dones some interesting things and we have some relationships there.
  • DRM & Apple. This is an important development, for Jobs to step up and advocate abandonment of DRM.
    • What we need are big names and big companies who can step up and agitate/advocate/work towards a new vision.
    • What can we find that is user-driven, user-centric, that can help resolve the DRM dilemma and simultaneously open up the silos.
  • Public Radio & VRM approach to fundraising that can make it easier to have users pay for what they consume?
  • What are our goals?
    • Near term
      • At a practical level, conversational activities and projects going forward. Growing the wiki. Who is doing what? Etc.
      • Organizational development: team building, process creation, community development, initiative facilitation
      • Real initiatives with progress from problem definition through to real Protocols.
      • Forum for discussion that isn't tied to any particular commercial interest. The goal is to create tools that are open source and ubiquitous.
    • Long term
      • Fixing the market. Getting rid of or reducing the kind of unproductive asymmetries we have between supply side and demand side, at least in the b2c world.
      • Reduction of transaction costs, especially around the transaction costs of vendor-customer relationships. Law & Economics has shown that when transaction costs are non-existent, resources naturally allocate to the highest utility use. Every reduction in transaction costs increases our overall alignment and use of resources.

Action Items

what who when status
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
open id on wiki david no date
group blog/RSS to wiki (venus) doc no date still working on it
project VRM definition doc 1 week still working on it
brainstorm Initiatives all ongoing
relationship/expression matrix chris/deb feb 1 DONE
Set up Jabber Host for conference calls doc no date new

Next Meeting

February 22, 1:30PM EST