Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pirate Bay Tries to buy Sealand
- Although Sweden is Homey, Sealand also appealed to the Pirate Bay.
- Jack Valenti's 1982 Congressional Testimony regarding Sony
University Filtering (group exercise)
- IT/General Counsel's perspective:
- What is the minimum legal duty to satisfy the record companies?
- What technical interventions are possible?
- What licensing solutions are possible?
- Penn State/GW model of charging students ~$10 apiece to set up legal file-sharing networks.
- Industries like this because they are building a future customer base. Can use music to leverage into other products.
- Other solutions?
- University Professor's perspective:
- 'Thank you for your letter. We've thought about it.'
- Worry that imposing these restrictions creates a slippery slope to other kinds of blocks: indecent, seditious, etc. Hard to draw this line between acceptable and anti-free speech blocking.
- Concern = horizontal portability of tech solutions.
- Also, blocking an application on a campus might prevent good non-infringing uses from developing.