Jump to navigation Jump to search
- This is the home page for my book, Knowledge Unbound: Selected Writings on Open Access, 2002–2011, MIT Press, 2016. — Peter Suber.
- Suggested short URL for this page = bit.ly/ku-book
About the book
- The book was released in March 2016, and was OA from birth. MIT Press itself hosts three OA editions, in PDF, ePub and Mobi (Kindle). The same editions are also available in DASH (Digital Access to Scholarship at Harvard), and other places around the web.
- The book is also available in paperback and hardback print editions.
- All the digital and print editions are under CC-BY licenses.
- I thank MIT Press for publishing the OA editions at the same time as the print editions, and for putting them all under CC-BY. I also thank Robert Darnton for his generous foreword.
- The book manuscript was submitted in 2011, at almost the same time as the manuscript for my shorter book, Open Access (MIT Press, 2012). We decided to publish the shorter book first, and hold this collection until the first book had a chance to establish itself.
- Also see the book home page for my previous book, Open Access, MIT Press, 2012.
- Also see my other writings on OA.
About this book home page
- The book is new, and I'm still thinking about the best way to use this book home page. I'd welcome your thoughts.
- I don't plan to add the kinds of extensive updates and supplements that I added to my 2012 book, Open Access. However, earlier in planning the book with MIT Press, I was going to write a brief postscript of "second thoughts" for each article in the collection. But in the end we dropped the idea. The second thoughts would enlarge the book and force us to drop several of the articles themselves. However, I might add some of those second thoughts here. Stay tuned.
- The book contains 44 articles, which is about a quarter of the articles I've published on OA. One day I might use this page to point to some I like best that didn't make it into this collection. Meantime, see this pretty complete list of my writings on OA.
About the subtitle
- The date range in the subtitle was originally 2002-2010. Here's more than you want to know about why we changed it to 2002-2011 without changing the contents of the book. There's only one essay in the collection from 2011 (Open access for digitization projects). I published the first version in my newsletter in July 2009. Then I published a slightly revised version in a collection from the Nobel Foundation in 2011, and wanted to use the revised version here. Although I made the revisions in August 2009, the revised version didn't appear until 2011. We could have called it a 2009 or 2011 article, and in the end we decided to call it a 2011 article.