Summer 2017 Internships for Students from Disciplines Other than Law
Important Additional Information and Application Instructions
If you've reached this page, you are a current student from any discipline except for law interested in applying for a summer internship with the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society. If you have not yet read the main page about Berkman Klein summer internships, find it here.
If you are a law student, please find information relevant to you here.
In our application system, we will ask you to identify the top two opportunities for which you would like to be considered. During the course of our review and interview process, we may identify a role in which you might excel but did not select in your application - if this is the case, we will discuss potential plans with you.
Many of the positions available this summer do not require that interns come from a specific discipline, though some of the opportunities we list on the main summer internship page require that interns be law students. Students from other disciplines will get exposure to these projects and will have the chance to work with them in conjunction with their primary responsibilities.
2017 Project Selection Options for Students from Disciplines Other than Law
- Artificial Intelligence
- Digital Finance
- Freedom of Expression
- Geek Cave Software Development
- Global Access in Action
- Harmful Speech Online
- Harvard Open Access Project
- Responsive Communities
- Special Projects - Urs Gasser
- Technology, Law and Library Innovation
- Youth and Media
Applications will be accepted in the Application Tracker at: https://cyber.harvard.edu/apply/jobs/23?apptracker_id=18
The application deadline for all students for summer 2017 is Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Required application materials include:
- A cover letter describing your skills and interests. When developing your cover letter, you may wish to consider the following questions: What has led you to pursue research with the Berkman Klein Center and the issues we study? What would you like to gain from working with us this summer, and what will you contribute? How do you think the experience might influence your future efforts? Please feel welcome to address these and/or other topics you would like to share with us. Cover letters should be addressed to Nancy.
- A current version of your resume.
- The contact information for two references (professional or academic).
In order to submit an application, you will need to register an Application Tracker account or login with an existing account. Please feel welcome to forge directly into the Application Tracker, or, if you're a new user, find some step-by-step prompts to help you navigate the system below.
Application Tracker Instructions for Students from Disciplines Other than Law
- Click on the application link at: https://cyber.harvard.edu/apply/jobs/23?apptracker_id=18
- If this is your first time at our application tool, click on the register link where it says “Log In or Register to Apply to This Job.” The link is about a quarter of a way down the page near the lefthand side.
- Fill out the required fields in the registration page and click register. After clicking register, you will be brought back to the job application page.
- Click on the link that reads “Apply to this job.” Fill out the required fields, and click save. After clicking save, you will be brought to a new page.
- On this new page, you will answer prompts under the heading “Additional Information”, and attach required documents under the heading “Job Application Materials.” When attaching your documents, you will know that your file has been uploaded when you you see the filepath to your document in the textbox.
- When you’ve double checked all of the information you have inputted into the forms and documents, take a deep breath and click the button on the bottom that says “Submit Application.”
- Congrats! You’ve submitted the application! You will receive a submission confirmation email.
- If you want to edit your submitted application before the application deadline, from within the system you can click on the “My Job Applications” tab, click on the edit link near the right side of the page, and edit your custom field answers or upload new versions of your resume or cover letter. Make sure you remember to click the “Save Edits” button to preserve any changes!