Thursday 7pm Chatlog 20061026

From CyberOne Wiki
Revision as of 23:56, 26 October 2006 by <bdi></bdi> (talk)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[16:19]  Rebecca Berkman: i am sure a lot of people are interested, but somehow it doesn't always translate into actual attendance.
[16:19]  You: sry i'm late!
[16:19]  You: u the only one here?
[16:20]  Blaise Syaka: no worries - I saw yvette leave a short while ago
[16:20]  You: k
[16:20]  Blaise Syaka: flew off...but she can see that we're here
[16:20]  You: k, should be convene somewhere to chat?
[16:21]  Blaise Syaka: sure - I think that is a professor from another course down there, so maybe Austin Hall
[16:21]  Blaise Syaka: in front of we can be seen
[16:22]  You: frappe and yvette are in the sandbox, we go there?
[16:22]  Blaise Syaka: sure
[16:23]  Toby1 Idler: Jesy christ what is that? A giant praying mantis????
[16:23]  falldeaf Weeks: Okie, I made these two thingys to demonstrate communication between objects, which is very useful, but also helps demonstrate the event based nature of LSL scripting
[16:23]  falldeaf Weeks: No Dancer, this is something I made just before class
[16:23]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:23]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:24]  falldeaf Weeks: It's not complicated, but clicking the button will change the color of the insect
[16:24]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:24]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:24]  falldeaf Weeks: It's done using the listen event
[16:24]  Dancer Morris: the box is sending chat to the insect?
[16:24]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:24]  Object: Everyone change color!
[16:25]  Yvette Kumsung: follow the yellow brick road
[16:26]  No room to sit here, try another spot.
[16:26]  Yvette Kumsung: haha dibs
[16:27]  Blaise Syaka: no worries
[16:27]  Blaise Syaka: so how is the project research going?
[16:27]  Frappe Lapointe: Thank you for seat
[16:28]  Frappe Lapointe: Look progress was made last week
[16:29]  Frappe Lapointe: Yvette are you taking pictures
[16:29]  You: had idea for voice problem demonstration
[16:29]  Yvette Kumsung: yuo
[16:29]  Yvette Kumsung: yes
[16:29]  You: like the schizo sim
[16:29]  You: random voices conflicting
[16:30]  You: random comments
[16:30]  Frappe Lapointe: You mean voice over lappinh
[16:30]  Frappe Lapointe: lapping
[16:30]  You: 'zakly
[16:30]  Yvette Kumsung: I think that would be a huge prblem
[16:30]  Yvette Kumsung: Especially in heavily populated areas
[16:30]  Frappe Lapointe: yes it can be
[16:30]  Yvette Kumsung: Maybe they would have to reduce the radius of the hearing distance
[16:30]  You: we can also touch upon the language conflicts
[16:31]  You: tone, volume etc
[16:31]  Yvette Kumsung: Isn't English the official language?
[16:31]  Yvette Kumsung: Oh I see
[16:31]  You: i think we're expected to build something as part of the project
[16:31]  Frappe Lapointe: what if they also had voice fonts available
[16:31]  You: big "voice" gallery
[16:31]  You: could also be a nice demo
[16:32]  Frappe Lapointe: like a meeting place with voice
[16:32]  Yvette Kumsung: what would be the point if it weren't your own voice?
[16:32]  Frappe Lapointe: that as a probelm
[16:32]  Yvette Kumsung: Would we choose from a template of voices?
[16:32]  Blaise Syaka: how do we integrate freedom of speech with overlapping voices?
[16:32]  You: not so much confronting every possibility with voice
[16:32]  Frappe Lapointe: well if no one can hear
[16:32]  Yvette Kumsung: Everyone will be talking at the same time, sounds chaotic to me
[16:33]  You: just to demonstrate what happens if it goes wrong
[16:33]  Frappe Lapointe: than how do you get your point across
[16:33]  You: i assumed we would use text plates in each room
[16:33]  Blaise Syaka: ok, I see that
[16:33]  You: like a real gallery
[16:33]  Frappe Lapointe: hello regent
[16:33]  ThinkerWu Regent: Helllo
[16:33]  Yvette Kumsung: Maybe it would be best to have specific voice-enabled zones
[16:33]  You: each room demonstrates a different part of our thesis
[16:34]  Frappe Lapointe: we are in our meeting
[16:34]  ThinkerWu Regent: Ok have a good time, see you.
[16:34]  Frappe Lapointe: a
[16:34]  Yvette Kumsung: I'm not sure I get the room concept
[16:34]  Yvette Kumsung: Could you elaborate?
[16:35]  You: lets say we must construct a SL object to represent our project
[16:35]  You: imagine a museum
[16:35]  You: each room represents a part of our argument
[16:35]  You: when you go into the room, we bombard you with different sound to make our point
[16:35]  Frappe Lapointe: voices
[16:36]  You: yes
[16:36]  Frappe Lapointe: or just sound (music)
[16:36]  Frappe Lapointe: okay
[16:36]  Yvette Kumsung: Oh I see you're talking about the actual presentation
[16:36]  You: project is voice and censorship/expression
[16:36]  You: yep
[16:36]  You: "physical" demonstration
[16:37]  You: justa athought, doesn't move the project forward
[16:37]  Yvette Kumsung: Don't you think, however, that it would be too technically demanding?
[16:37]  You: just an idea for the project presentation
[16:37]  Yvette Kumsung: It's a good idea, I just don't know if I could be able to script that well
[16:38]  Yvette Kumsung: using voice integration in the scripts
[16:38]  Yvette Kumsung: Anyways
[16:38]  You: i was thinking more sound samples rather than live voice
[16:38]  You: so it would be like the streaming boxes we see around
[16:38]  Frappe Lapointe: ah
[16:38]  Frappe Lapointe: okay that makes more sense
[16:38]  You: v little scripting
[16:39]  Frappe Lapointe: I was thinking we would be going from room to room with our mics on yelling at each other
[16:39]  Yvette Kumsung: I didn't know building was part of the assignment (sigh)
[16:39]  Frappe Lapointe: :)
[16:39]  You: lol
[16:39]  Yvette Kumsung: haha
[16:40]  You: i'm guessing its why they are giving the building and scripting classes
[16:40]  You: prolly not mandatory
[16:40]  Frappe Lapointe: But would be cool if we could do ti
[16:40]  Blaise Syaka is Offline
[16:40]  Yvette Kumsung: Since we have several sub-categories, do you think we should narrow down our topic, or work generally and touch lightly on the few subtopics
[16:41]  You: narrow i would think, unless we can delegate the subcategories
[16:41]  Frappe Lapointe: I think we should narrow
[16:41]  Blaise Syaka is Online
[16:41]  You: nearly robbed ur seat Blaise
[16:41]  You: ):
[16:42]  Yvette Kumsung: I think the faster we get a narrowed-down thesis statement the better
[16:42]  Blaise Syaka: sorry about computer was really slow, so I had to reboot
[16:42]  Yvette Kumsung: Actually, i think SL is a bit lagging after their upgrade
[16:42]  Frappe Lapointe: I agree
[16:42]  Blaise Syaka: good to know
[16:42]  You: okay, so finite thesis by Monday
[16:42]  Yvette Kumsung: My computer is brand new and still it took time to get the program up and going
[16:42]  You: same here
[16:43]  Blaise Syaka: btw much 'law' are we looking to include, or should we go 'tech'?
[16:43]  You: its a liberal law class, so more theory than case based?
[16:43]  Yvette Kumsung: I don't think it matters for the Extension students, but William looked very intent on getting the law aspect into the project
[16:44]  You: yep
[16:44]  Blaise Syaka: okay...I'm fine either way, but law is easier for me.
[16:44]  Yvette Kumsung: (ha, naturally) :)
[16:44]  Frappe Lapointe: Me to
[16:44]  Blaise Syaka: grin
[16:44]  You: tech here
[16:45]  Yvette Kumsung: I really don't have a preference. I'm fine with both
[16:45]  Frappe Lapointe: I like both aspects, know more about tech than law but I am game
[16:45]  Frappe Lapointe: for either
[16:45]  Frappe Lapointe: you know we can start with both
[16:46]  Frappe Lapointe: and move them together
[16:46]  You: i would have liked some feedback on our project proposal
[16:46]  You: how about we approach becca/gene to get that answer?
[16:46]  Frappe Lapointe: Can not hurt
[16:46]  Yvette Kumsung: I think they're very busy in getting back on assignments
[16:47]  Yvette Kumsung: But I'm sure if we ask them separately they'll give us some advice
[16:47]  Frappe Lapointe: I think that would be fine also
[16:48]  You: i have to go to berkman tomorrow to pick up some video, i'll ask them if they're there
[16:48]  Blaise Syaka: sounds good
[16:48]  Frappe Lapointe: perfect
[16:48]  You: do we have a group meet later?
[16:48]  You: large group?
[16:48]  Frappe Lapointe: No
[16:49]  You: whew
[16:49]  Frappe Lapointe: I do not think so
[16:49]  You: i could do with a break
[16:49]  Yvette Kumsung: So should we post what topics we want to do and then vote on them?
[16:50]  You: thats sounds awesome
[16:50]  Blaise Syaka: ok
[16:50]  Yvette Kumsung: We should set a date or something
[16:51]  You: thesis by monday, categories by friday
[16:51]  You: draft category 1 week later
[16:51]  You: draft of category
[16:51]  Yvette Kumsung: how can a thesis come before a category?
[16:51]  You: thesis maps the arguments
[16:52]  You: or sometimes the arguments mpa the thesis
[16:52]  You: can work either way
[16:52]  You: all a thesis is, is a map to your categories followed by 1 conclusive argument?
[16:53]  Blaise Syaka: so we'll see what gene and becca say tomorrow and take it from there?
[16:53]  Blaise Syaka: that could save us some headaches...
[16:53]  Frappe Lapointe: true
[16:54]  You: to clarify, what we want to do is to weight law and tech?
[16:54]  Yvette Kumsung: I think so
[16:54]  Frappe Lapointe: Yes
[16:54]  Blaise Syaka: that and whether the scope of the project was correct
[16:55]  Blaise Syaka: we suggested voice and censorship
[16:55]  Frappe Lapointe: If it can not be as broad as that and has to relate to law over tech than we may need to change
[16:55]  Frappe Lapointe: or avenue
[16:56]  Frappe Lapointe: our that was
[16:56]  Blaise Syaka: if they say tech, then we focus on voice...if they say law, we focus on censorship. ^_~