Difference between revisions of "Thursday 1900 EST"
|Line 159:||Line 159:|
Freedom of SpeechSwearingAccents, Pitch, Cultural (Ebonics etc)Disabilities (Stutter, Lisp)SL vs RL (Gender, Voice Fonts)Foreign LanguagesCrosstalk LatencyText = Oration style
Revision as of 01:38, 2 December 2006
Places & Times
- Meeting Time: Thursdays, 7:00 EDT
- Meeting Place: Berkman Island in SL
- Group Wiki page: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cyberone/wiki/Thursday_1900_EST
- Bridget Smith (Frappe Lapointe) [email@example.com]
- Brien Walton (Blaise Syaka)
- Esmond Kane (Pere Utu)
- William James (USA Brody)
- Yvette Wohn (Yvette Kumsung)
Assignment: Interview a SL personality
Due Monday (Oct 9) at 10:55 EST (Assignment in Moodle)
Anyone know if this is a group Assignment?
Yes. Sign up for an Interviewee here
Also see Topics and Thesis discussion here
- The integration of Voice in SL can result in varying degrees of discrimination against the residents, and this project will address issues regarding the impact of Voice on the social network.
Our podcasts are up here
Heed Typers When Voice Comes
Hypothesis: Voice is coming to SL and will bring new capabilities
Problem: Discrimination of typers in type-voice coexsiting environment
- 1.Typers are slower, making it more difficult to fit into conversations
- 2.Voice users may feel annoyed by chat windows, or get used to minimizing the window
- 3.Clash of typing sounds with voice
Why should we think of protecting the rights of typers?
- 1. May not be able to speak (mute, soar throat)
- 2. Situation where you cannot use voice (office)
- 3. Personal reasons (Don't like sound of voice/doesn't suit identity of avatar/want to keep level of privacy/stutter,lisp, accent)
- 4. Multitasking (chat while listening to music, etc.)
- 5. Efficiency in certain situations(Group chats, lectures)
Questions to Ask Ourselves
- 1. Who should be given the right to decide whether the zone is voice, text, or voice-text?
- 2. How can we create awareness?
- 3. Are we calling for technical attention from Linden or social attention from residents?
Solution/Action: "Heed Typers" Campaign?
Presentation Method Ideas:
- 1. Create rooms with streaming audio boxes.
- 2. Create machinima
|Real Name||SL Name||Introduction||For||Against||Conclusion||Machinima|
|Esmond Kane||Pere Utu||Yes|
|Bridget Smith||Frappe Lapointe||Yes|
|William James||USA Brody||Yes|
|Yvette Wohn||Yvette Kumsung||Yes|
Project Deliverables (Tentative)
- Saturday Dec 2 7pm: Text
- Sunday Dec 3 7pm: Audio
- Thursday Dec 8 7pm: Project Draft
- Tuesday Dec 12 7pm: Project Presentation
Please edit your own section only. It'll get reaaal messy if we all edit the main page.
Freedom of Speech, Swearing, Accents, Pitch, Cultural (Ebonics etc), Disabilities (Stutter, Lisp), SL vs RL (Gender, Voice Fonts), Foreign Languages, Crosstalk ,Latency, Text = Oration style
- we are arguing for the choice of the avatar to be able to toggle voice integration
For: why voice is not discriminatory or it doesnt matter
Against: why text is less discriminatory
Summary and Conclusion
- 'give us the choice'
- "it is open for all to decide what they want ot choose"