If you are looking to get involved in a project or looking to get some attention for a project you'd like to start, this page is the place to be. Browse through these projects or add your own.
If you want a project that you are involved with to get the attention of someone browsing through the list, we suggest making sure that you list some clear tasks that people can do to contribute. That way people can get involved right away and can come to have a sense of ownership of the projects for themselves.
- This is not a project, per se, but if you have a thought or idea that might turn into a project, post it here for people to discuss.
- The Open Patent Project
- HLS Professors Nesson and Zittrain, Professor Wendy Seltzer, and Alex Macgillivray recently received a patent for the Question Tool. We haven't got it working for this class yet, but basically it allows a group of people to aggregate questions to be posed to a speaker. They would like to "patentleft" it, but there doesn't seem to be a system for doing "patentleft" yet. Would "patentleft" allow collection of patent rents from for-profit users if for the benefit of non-profit? Would you like to work on adding an open patent license to the licenses available through Creative Commons? Or figure out some other patentleft system?
- The Gay in the Military? Fine By Me. Project
- Professor and Rebecca Nesson are interested in extending Leila Nesson's "Gay? Fine by me." project into a protest of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. The basic idea is to make legislators aware that there is support among the public for allowing openly gay people to enlist. Rebecca wishes to put on record that she would prefer if no one (of any sexual orientation) enlisted, however.
- The Pass/Fail Project
- Professor Nesson and some law class members are interested in making a pass/fail option available for the course.
- The Video Production Project
- Professor Nesson would like the videos from our lectures to be edited into something suitable for a broader audience, perhaps incorporating the footage from the second camera, adding some context, adding some supporting materials, taking out the boring parts. This is a logistical/technical problem as well as a video-editing project. Want to do it for just one lecture? Or all of them? Or just help figure out how to get it done?
- The Harvard Extension Open Courseware Project
- One uncommon aspect of this course is that much of the course materials are being made available to the entire world free of charge. MIT's OpenCourseWare initiative is an attempt to make virtually all course materials (lecture videos, notes, assignments, exams, even books) for all MIT courses freely available to the world. Harvard Medical School has made some progress towards sharing their own course materials. With a large number of online video courses, Harvard Extension School has an opportunity to create a similar initiative -- currently, video courses are tightly restricted to enrolled students only.
- Harvard Internet and Society Conference 2007 Project
- Open Access Initiative - An university-wide initiative to promote open-access.
- Eifachfilm project
- We would like to run a creative commons TV channel containing high quality art movies. How could we free movies (no one shows anymore) more than 10 years old from copyright and migrate them to creative commons if regisseur and story author and all the creative staff agrees but the Media company rather wants to lock the movie away than showing within the creative commons licence.
- The TRUTHS Project TRUTHS is an important idea, expressed in the language of a particular scientific discipline that needs to be better understood by the public, policy makers and scientists working in different fields. How might we use the new media (including Second Life) to clarify a scientific argument? proposed by 'at-large' member User:Dcommerce
- The Project on Soldier Testimony and Human Rights
- The aim of this project is to learn more about the soldier experience, in the hopes that giving soldiers a voice will shed some light on their relationship to human rights. proposed by andrew User:andrew
- International Copyright Wiki
- Discovery Through Error Theory - We learn by mistakes, and I make a lot of mistakes; therefore, I learn a lot.
- Ident-I-pedia - The Identity Wiki - This wiki is intended to create a knowledge base of identity. The goal of this project is to understand the confines of identity related constructs in law, technology and society for the purpose of finding a better understanding of how our individual liberty can be applied to solve future identity related issues.
- Organic Use of The Internet Wiki - How to keep autonomy for the long term and not be the frog that gets boiled slowly without noticing. The tactics and strategies to avoid becoming entirely dependent on information systems and digital capital.
- Authoritative Identity Legal Framework - What are the power/parent/entrenched rights of the identity? Am extremely interested in this - if there is anyone who knows of a project like this please let me know hart
- The Internet Accessibility Project - an attempt to create a guide or tutorial for nontechnical, novice users of the Internet, such as seniors.
- Green Microsoft Project - With the release of Windows Vista, Microsoft has the ability to significantly reduce power consumption of all Windows-powered computers around the world. How? By shutting off the computer monitor instead of having a screensaver by default when Windows is first installed. I really believe a project team can accomplish this task with some concerted and focused month-long blogosphere compaign. --Genekoo 19:27, 25 October 2006 (EDT)
- The Islamic Democracy Project
- The purpose of this project is to create an online community where both Islamic scholars and lay members will discuss issues of Islamic law and interpretation as they apply to both private and public life. --Tawfiq 11:39, 23 November 2006 (EST)