Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1:30 - Rodica begins talking
- Has a job where she brings real life companies into Second Life
- Started out working with Asperger's patients
- 1:33 - Gene starts talking
- 1/3 of the students raise their hands when asked if they have been in an online world before
- Being with other people online
- Societies, economies, law and governance in virtual worlds.
- Code as law in games--much more serious than on the internet
- 1:40 - Talking about verifying identities on SL
Analogy for Virtual Worlds
- Comparison to immigration
- Are the motivations of immigration from country to country different from immigration to virtual worlds?
- Chinese gold farmers! - exporting labor
- How is it different from just recreational activities?
- Investment as LIFE. Beyond activity.
- Better analogy: joining a religious community? Non-market based.
- Dual citizenship?
- 1:50 - KB takes magic mushrooms
- Virtual worlds as hallucinations
- 1:51 - Charlie Nesson has never taken drugs. For the record.
- 1:53 - Art also has not taken drugs.
- What is reality?
- World of Warcraft funeral in-world--got slaughtered by another clan: real or not real?
- Steve: We are beings because we relate to and are situated to the others that we encounter?
- Virtual worlds allow us to be related to other people.
- Everything is just a phenomenon that is appearing to me, I choose how I interact with it.
- What is reality?
- Linden Labs are Gods in SL
- Rodica is a demigod
Second Life - Closed??
- LindenLab as benevolent dictators in the space
- Linden Lab gives you certain property rights
- Open Source alternatives - Metaverse project
- How would internet governance work?
- Bill of rights for virtual world players
- Companies don't want it
- Players would rather have dictatorship than democracy--prefer having everything functioning than having complete control
- 2:21 - Killing orcs vs. debating bill.
- Second Life as next evolution of web?
- But the web has standards that are debated...in virtual worlds, too?
- 2:22 - How VW economies work
- Political dictatorship and economy is open--like China?
- 2:25 - American Apparel and other companies opening shop in SL]
- Translating real life into virtual space is going to stick around
- Product placement in SL
- Brands interacting rather than just advertising to customers
- 2:31 - Critique of Second Life by Ethan Zuckerman
Education in Virtual Worlds
- 2:34 - Education in virtual worlds
- Teaching in SecondLife
- 2:35 - Introduction of William James (USA Brody)
- Bringing up kids in the future, making sure they can distinguish real from virtual
- 2:40 - Would you teach your kids about Santa Claus?
- Tuning kids in to being sophisticated consumers of virtual reality and real reality
- 2:42 - What is real about this space?
- Bits vs. matter?
- Why assign label of real or not real?
- 2:43 - How many layers of illusion are there from your reality
- Real life as one layer, then Second Life as a second level
- 2:44 - "I come from Colombia, where we produce all these drugs that you don't take"