RE: [dvd-discuss] Software company to sue student over using shift key

It's more insidious that that. I only scanned the paper but the what the software does is

1. When put into a PC with autoloader enabled, it runs a little program with the EULA that installs a NEW driver into your system. This is why holding the shift key down disables it because it won't autoloader. The new driver now takes over control of your CD Player

2. That new driver checks the content of the CD you put in your CD player and when it recognized what it THINKS is a protected title it messes up the read operation. Check out the clip http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/cd3-sample.mp3

So here's some interesting question.

Is this trespass of chattels? They are modifying my computer without telling me they are doing so.
How does this differ from any other piece of spyware? (other than the "end justifies the means...I mean we are protecting the sanctity of intellectual property from the hoards of hackers who want to rape pillage, plunder and loot")
How does this differ from a virus?
Suppose I sell my CD? I can do that (for the time being. In May at the DMCA hearing at UCLA, that twit from the RIAA told Robin Gross that "he didn't agree with USC 17"). But the dirty little driver is still resident on my machine and can interfere with its operation (how does it recognize a protected album?...does it install a new driver for each album? Someone with 1000CDs would have 1000 dirty little drivers sitting on their computer all just taking up disk space, cpu time....interfering with MY use of MY property). Surely I can remove the dirty little driver and no clause in the EULA to the contrary can prevent me.
Or is the EULA still binding after I sell my CD and no longer have a copy of it? Binding for how many years? Forever? Until I reload my OS?
Is reloading your OS a violation of the EULA? Is disabling autoloader?

check out their website http://www.sunncomm.com/index_flash.html...while I can admire the graphics, given that they are purporting to be a technical company, it looks as if they are trying to get investors than touting their technical prowess....

from the blub...

"It is the intention of management to remain a non-reporting company listed on the "The Pink Sheets" until such time as the
        company reports significant sales of its technology. It is within the corporation's legal rights to elect this option. However, this
        means that you, the investor or interest-holder, will not be afforded public access to regular company audits and therefore you
        must solely rely on the company's press releases, news stories, or other publicly available information. "

The issue here really isn't protecting the sanctity of intellectual property from the theiving hoards but investment.....Add this to the chilling effects database

"Dean Sanchez" <DSANCHEZ@fcci-group.com>

10/10/2003 10:33 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss