RE: [dvd-discuss] Is SCO Entitled?

A major issue is how the code got there (if, indeed, it _is_ there).

Consider that Linux is an open-source development effort.  When you
contribute you relinquish your proprietary rights in your code.  If
SCO _planted_ code in the Linux project, then by their own actions
they relinquished the rights they are now screaming about.  If someone
_else_ stole SCO code and put it into Linux, the legal situation
becomes somewhat murky.  I would think that the person who put the
code in would be the only one who could be held responsible, in much
the same way as the person who steals a trade secret is legally at
fault, but the person who uses a trade secret obtained in good faith
from the thief (that is, the 3rd person had no knowledge that the
TS was "hot property") is not liable.

Shades of CSS, eh?

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!