RE: [dvd-discuss] Petition for rational copyright law

I have trouble seeing how this will work.  Of course, I have
trouble seeing how the current system works too.

How would I tell is the copyright holder did indeed pay
their $1 at the 50 year mark?  If I assume there is some
sort of copyright registration required for the extention
then I am still left whith determining how to search it.
For something big, like a movie, that might be easy.  But
how can I search for something small like a posting to a mailing
list like this?

What we need IMO is to know, from the moment of publication,
the date a copyrighted worke gains PD status.