From: Michael A Rolenz [mailto:Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 12:56 PM
To: dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject: [dvd-discuss]Another Poster Child for DeCSS?

Artech (www.artechhouse.com) has republished the M.I.T. Radiation Laboratory Series on a searchable CDROM(s). For those not aware,this was a 28 volume set of books put out in the late 40s describing the research done at the Radiation laboratory on development of radar during WWII. It encompases radar systems engineering, radiowave propagation, control theory, microwave design, waveguides. Basically, it's THE CLASSIC source and many of the volume are still in print but not all.The authors are a whos who (e.g., Nichols on servomechanism). Since the work was done under government contract and so was the writing of the books, they explicitly stated that they would enter the public domain at some point (decades ago). So...what's the status under the DMCA? Is a copy of the CD infringement or if protected by a flimsy DRM?