RE: [dvd-discuss] Postage Meters and the "Right to Tinker"

On 9 Jan 2003 at 16:26, Richard Hartman wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Postage Meters and the "Right to Tinker"
Date sent:      	Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:26:24 -0800
From:           	"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

In addition to the GIFT aspect..There's another subtle aspect here. There is no
contractual relationship between TurboTax and the recipient yet via the DMCA
TurboTax is able to create one (allowing this argument). What obligation do you
have to TurboTax? Legally or ethically? Let's take this one step farther.
Suppose they are able to code your address with each CD. You throw it out and
the dumpster diver gets it. You donate it to goodwill. You give it away...and
the CD falls into the hands of the "jacker hacker cracker " who posts copies
all over the place with YOUR address attached and now you have to defend
yourself...is this that farfetched? It's where Palladium, Intel, MPAA, RIAA
seem to want to put things.

The purpose of the statutes was to prevent the establishment of UNSOLICITED
contracts and what TurboTax has done is exactly that.