Re: [dvd-discuss] New EFF staff attorney

Thanks Jim, and thanks to all of the dvd-discuss participants -- many of
the issues we've discussed here motivated my move to EFF.

From here, I'll be able to be a public advocate for fair use and access,
as well as to think about next steps for the Openlaw project.  We're at a
critical moment to recognize that progress depends not only on the
protection of "intellectual property" but also on protection of the
unowned commons.  New technologies can be tools of public access or of
private control, and decisions in Congress and courts will shape those
technologies.  We want to keep the public interests at the forefront of
the debate.

My first EFF appearance will be at the Consumer Electronics Show later
this week, supporting electronics manufacturers who develop
consumer-friendly media devices.  Let me know if I'll see some of you
there.

--Wendy
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@seltzer.com
phone: 415.436.9333 x 125 // cell: 914.374.0613 // web: http://www.eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html