Re: [dvd-discuss] Specific ironies of the CTEA

The law deals with missing and presumed dead by getting someone declared as dead after they don't show up and there are no records for them. For example, if you disappear and no one has any record of you for 7 years (I believe that's what it was in Ohio) then you can file a motion to declare someone as legally dead. There will be noticed published in the papers asking if anyone has knowledge of the person etc has seen them etc and after all that comes back NADA, the courts may delare the person legally dead. If they hadn't found Chandra Levy's body she'd have been declared dead eventually. As for Amelia Earhart, she didn't make her rendezvous for fuel and maintainance. Good chance she went down into the ocean. After 7 years if she's not found then chances are she'd drowned or dead on some desert island. OF course the whole legal proceedings have be started, otherwise the person is NOT dead and the copyright clock hasn't started until they are declared legally dead which is NOT something that the states do not the Feds. But the Feds control copyright.

But lets face it...missing and presumed dead is a rare event so there's no reason to distort the system to handle it when it can be done ad hoc and should be based upon the facts of the case (That's why we have courts so that they can examine facts and see the applicability and occassionaly "wing it" when they aren't certain).

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>

12/10/2002 10:53 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss