Re: [dvd-discuss] Hacking requires search warrant -- ruling

On 15 Nov 2002 at 17:36, Glendon M. Gross wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:36:17 -0800
From:           	"Glendon M. Gross" <gross@xinetd.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Hacking requires search warrant -- ruling

> I can't help feeling that this is like the death-throes of a
> soon-to-be-defunct organization.   The RIAA is so out of touch with what
> both the artists and the consuming public want that it will not surprise
> me if they are completely defunct within 10 years.  By criminalizing the
> sharing of music, they not only are suppressing the sales of recordings
> but they are angering their constituants.  Some people are not ever
> going to forgive the RIAA for their heavy handed tactics. Regrettably
> the emphasis on the law and lawyers tends to be detrimental to the
> creative process, in my opinion.
>
> Maybe some smart lawyer will initiate a class-action suit against the
> RIAA for the damage they have done to the artists and composers.

HOw about a good old fashioned Anti-Trust lawsuit from the DoJ of the type that
Teddy Roosevelt and Wm. H. Taft did about 100 yrs ago against the sugar trust,
Standard Oil etc....you know, exercise a little ecomomic and political
conservativism by letting ones self be guided by history