Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

ANother point is that the copy that is being stripped, ripped and dipped
is PERSONAL property. One can do ANYTHING one wants with personal property
whether they want to strip, rip,or dip it for fun in the privacy of ones
home or even in public for any reason on can think of - curiousity, a
challenge or even to infringe.  So there is no reasonable cause for search
or seizure to begin with and the "presumption of innocence" still applies.
The presumption that one is doing so to infringe is as invalid as the
presumption the RIAA, MPAA has that everybody who has a CDburner is a CD
pirate.

Should one be caught doing massive infringement, then the fact that one
has systematically removed finger prints to prevent tracking may be used
to preclude a defense of "I didn't know what I was doing is wrong." or " I
just wasn't thinking" or "I didn't realize that my giant jukebox of CDs
was accessible on the internet" but as David has pointed out if you can't
figure out who, then they aren't going to accomplish anything. And HOW do
you keep track of who has what fingerprint? Or did?

daw@mozart.cs.berkeley.edu (David Wagner)
10/30/2002 07:49 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss