Re: [dvd-discuss] "limited times" selectively the gov't "gets it"

On 21 Oct 2002 at 18:34, 78v3rc001@sneakemail.com wrote:

From:           	78v3rc001@sneakemail.com
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] "limited times" selectively the gov't "gets it"
Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:34:35 -0600

> I was thinking this exact same thing when NPR had a sound bite with Bush
> talking about generic drugs. I imagined the word "patent" replaced with the word
> "copyright".
>
> The drug companies have developed expansive legal tactics (shenanigans?) to
> extend profitable expiring drug patents.
>
> The reason that it is a noticable issue is that this affects seniors
> directly who love to vote. So it really is hard for a politician to ignore
> their voice.
>
> http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/ip-health/2002-May/003069.html
>
> So when it comes to medicine, politicians listen. Copyright goes to the
> highest bidder^errr  campaign contributor^errr political supporter.

Yes this is true...dealing with FOUNDATIONS is more difficult than structures
raised above them. Copyright deals with the foundations of intellectual
activity...

BTW..one quotation from the cnn article

In addition, some patents would no longer be entitled to protections like the
30-month stay, including those on packaging and other features that have little
to do with innovations in drug therapy, the president said.

I hate sounding cynical but he doesn't get the picture that THOSE things
shouldn't be patentable. The Patent system is BROKEN. So is the COPYRIGHT
system.