[dvd-discuss] Ex-post facto?

"D. C. Sessions" wrote:

>I don't think that qualifier is necessary in this case.
>The proscribed act (publication) is still in the future,
>so any law on the subject leaves the actor opportunity
>to avoid the proscribed act.

I thought that some works that had become public domain
were re-copyrighted by the Bono act; in that case, it
becomes a very interesting question of exactly what "right"
the copyright grants. If Eldred had made 10^8 copies of
the work while it was public domain, is he not free to
sell or give them away now? If not, does that not an
ex-post-facto law (criminalize giving away his property),
or at least a "taking" of that property?

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!