Re: [dvd-discuss] The next step in the Balkanization of DVD-R media

Jeremy Erwin wrote:

> I must have read and reread that piece of schlock three times.
> Still, I can't understand the difference between DVD-R, DVD+R,
> DVD for Authoring, DVD General, and what most PC users know is
> DVD-R. I suspect that such documents are bandied about by PR
> representatives of the various cartel members, as a means of
> saying, "See, we're not a cartel. We're marketing to each
> other in public. Here, you can see these pamphlets..."

It creates two classes of information citizens:
"professionals" and "consumers."

Most salient passage:

Two Formats for Two Markets: Professional and Consumer

To support consumer applications for DVD­R, the DVD Forum
determined that another  type of DVD­R media was necessary.
The newest member of the DVD­R family uses a  recording
wavelength of 650nm, and discs are recorded on different
drives than the  existing 635nm format. This new format is
called ``DVD­R for General'', because it is  aimed at a
broad base of applications. Meanwhile, the existing 635nm
format has been renamed ``DVD­R for Authoring'' to reflect
its use in professional applications.  Why are there two
formats? The key reason for the introduction of DVD­R for
General  media is that it contains content protection
measures that make it physically impossible to  make
bit­for­bit copies of CSS encrypted entertainment titles.

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.