Re: [dvd-discuss] .002 Online again -- DRM Business Case for Si

Since DRM is about exactly controlling feature sets, one can "securely"
use the same features to guarantee DRM is never enabled.  For example a
"signed" video driver that stubs out the Macrovision control calls
cannot be replaced in a secure system with one that doesn't stub the
calls.  (Think of the son-of-P2P hacking law, allowing a "copyright
holder" to hack your drivers to reenable Macrovision HW).

Thus, the Si vendor is the position of having to implement the feature
one way as another.  If it exist, and no legal protections prevent it,
it will be used to help the squeakiest-wheel-with-the-deepest-pockets.
So far the Si industry hasn't been squeaking up. "I hear the silence of
the lambs" says Hollywood Lechter.

The real question isn't one of feature sets -- it's one of involvement
in the public policy debate.  So far the tech industry is sleeping
through this one -- or more correctly cowering from the (mickey) mouse
roar of the all to effective lobbying of the media cartel.

I've actually heard industry lobbyist tell me "we can't go up against
Jack Valenti," and they won't until the see (if it is true) that the
health of the industry is at stake.