Re: [dvd-discuss] CA Supreme Court hears Pavlovich JurisdictionChallenge inDVDCCA case

Another of the WIPO's beautiful ideas....make copyright problems criminal
offense....now I don't know about you but in the bad old days when I grew
up (early 70s) we had a civics course that explained about laws, courts,
etc...one thing was the diffference between a criminal act and a civil
one. Criminal acts were acts against the state or another person of the
state or their personal property or their real property. So now we have
acts against intellectual property...as in those "evil mean and wicked
nasty hackers want to rape pillage and plunder the sanctity of my
intellectual property" <appologies to Steppenwolf, Alex Bevan, and Monty
Python> . AND the threat of doing so has become a criminal
act.....Unfortunatly, the more time people spend looking at details the
less time they do considering the foundations....that shift in foundations
is something our judicial system hasn't gotten yet.

Ole Craig <olc@cs.umass.edu>
09/09/2002 08:48 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss