RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On 8 Aug 2002 at 13:42, Richard Hartman wrote:

From:           	Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	"'dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu'" <dvd-
discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges
Date sent:      	Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:42:14 -0700

> Although the output of their engine can not be
> copyright (by my criteria), it _does_ represent
> the work of their tool.  It is not the output
> per se that (I believe) they have the right to
> control ... but the use of their tool (if you
> can follow that distinction).  It is work that
> was performed using _their_ resources and any
> use made of the result that did not conform to
> their requirements would be a "theft of services"

OK well let's look at it differently...they put this tool out there that
anybody can access...and then they put a thousand lines about what you can't do
with it...who reads it? Nobody? Would the reasonable man on the street expect
anybody to? Probably not? The legal community does recognize that fine print is
not a good thing in a contract but what's the contract? ShrinkWrap at best?
What's the license? NONE. Licenses are negociated items so that the parties
understand what the conditions are. Not a boiler plate of fine print.

Furthermore, I would contend that the FACTS themselves cannot be copyrighted
and neither can the formatting.  There is nothing creative about a mechanical
formatting program and as such it is not copyrightable. FOr pragmatic reasons
alone. ...