Re: [dvd-discuss] Movie Downloads, automatically illegal?

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 05:43:52PM -0400, Dan Steinberg wrote:
> Methinks...if making a backup in VCD format for your own use is legal,
> then how you get it is irrelevant. you could make a backup on someone
> else's computer as long as you get rid of it on the other machine.
>
> what am I missing here?

The fact that lawyers know next to nothing about logic. They have their
own replacement, which essentially says "A != A if it gives more
chances for profitable lawsuits".

Or, in other words: You look at the end result and see that they are
identical. Therefore, A == A.
The lawyer, on the other hand, doesn't care for results, he wants to
find a hook for a lawsuit (just like we techies look for problems that
can be solved with our skills, technology).
He finds it in the PROCESS. Yes, the end results are the same, but the
way to get there is different. One way involves an act that is
forbidden by copyright law, namely someone besides the owner of a copy
making a copy of it. That's where B != C and therefore A != A.

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>