Re: [dvd-discuss]2600 DROPS DECSS APPEAL

On Thursday, July 4, 2002, at 12:58  AM, Steve Stearns wrote:

> The only thing, I suspect, that will drum up the real fervor to make a
> change is when the DMCA starts to impact the general public in a way
> that makes it an issue for them.  Until then, I'm afraid this is going
> to remain an issue the technicians care about and the rest of the world
> is oblivious too.

That collective realization may be closer than you think. The New York
Times has article pointing out several "advances" in the use of access
controls to enforce monopolies at the expense of innovation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/04/business/04SCEN.html

Jeremy Erwin