Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: Correction: ReplayTV: Some Citizens Consumers, Some Not

On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 10:54  PM, microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> BTW-  cartoons produced by the US government would never have been
> copyrighted.
> But Derek, you can always take them off the DVD put them on your
> website and
> hope that the MPAA files another lawsuit in absentia!

If I i'm reading this correctly, a 1201a1A violation would not have
occurred, because the work is not "protected under this title." The menu
structures, which might be copyrightable, are not actually obscured by
CSS.

Moreover, if you distributed a device that was specific to this dvd, it
could be argued that 1201a2A does not apply to this particular program
or device, as it is "primarily designed r produced for the purpose of
circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access
to a work NOT protected under this title;

Jeremy