RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

If the original work has passed into the public domain, you can
always copy that. If the additions for the new work (with new
copyright) are small, you should be happy to simply use the older
edition. The only problem I see is if the new version is of higher
quality, say a DVD vs. VHS.  Then the question arises as to what
happens if you copy the from the new version only the material that
was in the old version. Is that fair use or even simply non
infringing? Is there any case law?

Arnold Reinhold