Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

>From: Tom <tom@lemuria.org>
>To: dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
>Subject: Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus
>Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:24:09 +0200
>
>On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 08:06:28AM -0700, Michael A Rolenz wrote:
> > <D/A> Yes but the rights that the author possesses are part of their
> > estate, just as their other property and can be sold or retained by
>their
> > heirs as any other property.
>
>bzzzt. "property", yes. however, copyrights are not a property, the
>propaganda of the movie mafia aside. copyrights are just that: rights.
>the same way that you don't inherit the right to, say, free speech and
>the pursuit of happiness, you don't inherit the copyright.

It seems that the ussc disagrees with you.  I recently posted this, from
festo...

The patent laws “promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts” by
rewarding innovation with a temporary monopoly. U. S. Const., Art. I, §8,
cl. 8. The monopoly is a PROPERTY RIGHT (my caps); and like any property
right, its boundaries should be clear.  (Festo Ussct)