RE: [dvd-discuss] ``irreparable damage to my client''

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Dean Sanchez wrote:

> You would think that Google would be actively defending itself.
> Otherwise, as more and more links are removed, its value as a search
> engine is diminished.

Thats an interesting catch... If they defend themselves, they have to
expend resources..

If they don't, the complaints will be coming in more furiously because of
the success of the earlier complaints. (A lot like why you never bow down
to kidnappers or terrorists, because if you do, their success will
encourage others to try the same.)

Then google has to either expend lots of resources seperating the valid
from the illogical complaints... Or take a scorched-earth policy and take
down anything that gets complained about.

Google indexes about a billion pages.. If even 1/10000 of them cause a
complaint in a given year, thats 100,000 complaints. At 10 minutes to deal
with each, thats 10 employees.

And what a great way to censor criticism. If someone changes their story
or lies, they can make sure that anyone who mirrors what they origionally
said can get delisted from google and removed from the google cache.

And, google has a billion pages; hell, most believe that there are large
tracts of the web it's never seen. If its already missing 100,000,000
pages, whats another few hundred thousand?

I don't envy google; the real solution is to fix up the law.

Scott