Re: [dvd-discuss] How many bits is a technical protection measure?

"Michael A Rolenz" writes:

: But I would also contend that the use of bitmapped fonts also violates the
: warrenty of merchantability (That's the problem I had between Adobe and
: Mathematica. I can paste equations in as bitmaps but then have problems
: resizing them and they look jagged).
:
: Actually, I agree wrt to using other fonts. Other than the faddish fonts
: there is little to be gained by not using something that is not in the
: public domain. Furhtermore, the purpose of allowing people to copyright
: fonts was to encourage the development of type faces for printing. Is that
: encouragement still really needed? Other than some of the faddish fonts
: that are obviously different, I'm not certain that it's worth society's
: time and effort to get involved in copyright squabbles about "well my font
: is a modified Goudy and SO.....gets copyright protection.", "What's
: modified?", I took 100 points in his outline and did a 42nd degree spline
: fit"

Fonts are not copyrightable in the U.S.  What is supposedly copyrightable
is the program that produces them.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu