RE: [dvd-discuss] NYTimes.com Article: Google Runs Into CopyrightDispute

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Dean Sanchez wrote:

> If the copyrighted material was sent along with the ad and the link, I
>would agree.  However, as only a link was sent and not the material, I
>see no ethical reason for not including the ad.  Else we go down the road
>(which a number of sites are trying to do) of stating that linking to a
>copyrighted site without permission (as search engines also do) is a
>violation of copyright.

I can't even believe anyone even considers this or has to think about it
for more than 1 second.  It's the equivilent of me saying "If you want to
mention the name "Noah's Tire Shop", you have to include in your sentence
", by the way, they have a great sale on tires, buy 3, get 1 free!".

They put the web site up, why? so people would visit it, right?  So if I
am sending them a visitor, they should be happy, not try to tack on
conditions.  What's more, if they don't want visitors, they shouldn't have
a web site.

I can see how a site wouldn't want to have all it's material plagerized,
but even prohibiting linking to pictures and/or stylesheets, etc., is
shaky at best.

If you are using a technology that you know allows certain things to be
done, then I think you are waiving your right to prevent those things from
happening.  If you odn't know how the technology works, you shouldn't be
using it.

 -- noah silva