From: "Dean Sanchez" <DSanchez@fcci-group.com>
To: <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 9:18 AM
Subject: [dvd-discuss] The Consumer Technology Bill of Rights

> Bob Thompson's site, http://www.ttgnet.com/rbt/rbtdaynotes.html , has a
link to a site, http://www.digitalconsumer.org , that is promoting a 'Bill
of Rights' for consumers.

> I know nothing about the site aside from what I've read on the it.
However, I think that the premise behind it has merit, but I would like to
see something similar to the Ninth and Tenth Amendments of the Constitution
added to it.  Maybe something along the lines of "Enumeration in this Bill
of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others
retained by the user.  The Rights not specifically delegated to the
Copyright Holder are reserved to the user."  And maybe replace 'user' with
'People' to reflect the fact that we hold these rights as citizens not just
consumers.,

> I know that we had discussed in the past the problems related to
enumerating the rights conferred through 'fair use' and 'first sale'.
Primarily, the fact that the process of sayings 'these are the right' would
eliminate any right to new uses.  However, I think that we have reached a
point where, because no rights have be enumerated, the traditional  'fair
use' and 'first sale' rights have eroded to such an extent that we no longer
have them anyway.  As for adding any new ones, that possibility no longer
exists.