Re: [dvd-discuss] Slashdot article - Canadian Tariffs

Some of these sound a bit out of line -- obviously the one writing the
law has no clue as to the cost of some of these items.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 12:57:14PM -0500, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> (b) 59¢ for each CD-R, CD-RW or each unit of any other type
> of recordable or rewritable compact disc of 100 megabytes or
> more of storage capacity;

This at least doubles the cost of those media, how do they justify it?

> (c) $1.23 for each CD-R Audio, CD-RW Audio or MiniDisc;

What's the difference between these and the previous one? These are
officially sold to hold music maybe? Technically no different?
I know they're more expensive to buy because some money goes to the
record companies or something -- kinda odd to me, but...

> (d) 0.8¢ for each megabyte of memory in each removable elec-
> tronic memory card, each removable flash memory storage
> medium of any type, or each removable micro-hard drive;

yow -- +$80 to the price of a 1G microdrive, not quite fair.

> (f) 2.1¢ for each megabyte of memory in each non-removable
> electronic memory card or each non-removable flash memory
> storage medium of any type incorporated into each MP3 player
> or into each similar device with internal electronic or flash
> memory that is intended for use primarily to record and  play
> music;

So, do they mean by the measurements that hard drive companies use to
sell you a drive that sounds bigger than it really is (MB = 1000000 bytes
instead of 2^20 bytes and GB = 1000000000 bytes instead of 2^30 bytes)
Maybe this will keep the hard drive makers honest -- gotta find some
good in the bad, right?

> (g)  $21  for  each  gigabyte  of  memory  in  each  non-removable
> hard drive incorporated into each MP3 player or into each simi-
> lar device with an internal hard drive that is intended  for use
> primarily to record and play music. "

so -- something like the HP-de100 or whatever its called would go up
in price $800 from it's already expensive $1500.