Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

>yes but saynig it that way, giving free copies to your friends is also
>legal.  Currently that's not legal, and people kow that (and I can't
>really argue that it should be, because that is a bit unfair from the
>companies point of view.  Plus, everyone is a friend of someone).

Actually, for the example of the MD copy, it is entirely legal and
legitimate to give free copies to your friend. MDs implement the
serial copy control technology, and the blank media is subject to
a statutory royalty, so you are free to make all the first generation
copies for non-commercial use as you like. Give them to everybody
you know. The language of the AHRA specifically permits this.