Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

On 2002.02.28 10:40 Noah silva wrote:
     [ snip ]

> I have to disagree.  I didn't obtain just a physical media, I obtained
> the
> copy of music.  If I copy it to the MD, I have two physical copies, but
> only one legal copy.  This is ok since, what am I going to do, listen to
> both copies at once?

Here I think is where reasonable people can disagree and I think where it
would be very interesting to consult what the law itself specifies. On the
one hand I agree with your analysis if in fact the purchase of a CD is a
licensing transaction. I don't believe that is the case. I do think the
MPAA, RIAA et al would very much prefer that to be the case. I believe
that when you purchase a copy of "a work fixed in a tangible media" (I
believe that is the proper language of the statutes) that you are
purchasing precisely that, a copy fixed on a particular medium in this
case a particular CD platter. The post-first sale rights I believe derive
from this in that I have the right to sell _this_ copy of the work. Rights
regarding other copies that have been made for fair use of the copy are
more muddy I think though we certainly agree on what is the ethical or
proper thing to do in that case: destroy the copies or transfer them with
the original.

I think we fundamentally agree on most points but I really do believe that
the adherence of rights to the particular CD disc that was purchased is
crucial to ensuring that first sale and fair use rights remain relevant. I
believe that the studios' testimony in the DeCSS case regarding fair use,
i.e. "Use a VHS copy for your fair use" derives directly from the view
that a purchase of a DVD implies a license to a copy in the general sense
rather than the purchase of a particular, specific copy with attendant
post-first sale and fair use rights.

If the courts take the view that a purchase implies a license in the
general sense then I think the studios arguments regarding fair use have
weight and may prevail. On the other hand I believe that if the courts
take the view that the purchase transaction implies the purchase of a
particular copy then I blieve that the studios fair use arguments lose any
relevance since they do not apply to the particular copy that was
purchased.

> If I want to sell the MD or CD, I think they are both equally valid, but
> the other should be transferred in the deal, or erased/destroyed.  I am
> transferring my right to a copy more than the physical media.  I blank CD
> is worth about $0.16 retail at microcenter this week, that's not what I
> paid for, I paid for the music.  If I sell it, I am selling the
> music.  Content owners may like to tie the media to the content, but the
> reality is they are seperate, and will only become more so, as copying
> becomes more practical and more of a normal activity.  MD players are
> quite popular in Japan.  MP3 players are getting fairly popular here.

As an interesting side-note, it used to be the case (and may still be for
all I know) that if you were bringing software into Canada (say on a
CD-ROM) the declared value was the value of the media only.

> They need to start going after people that break the law in individual
> cases, unstead of people and products that make it easier.  Yes it's less
> efficient, but it's what they should do.

Absolutely! That's difficult for them or not feasible? Too bad. They chose
this distribution mechanism, they should deal with the unintended
consequences of their choice.

>  -- noah silva

	Cheers,
	Bruce.